ABOUT US

My photo
Kansas, United States
This started out as a blog about our domestic adoption. So all of the older posts are about that journey. It was an interesting one, and it led us to our son, Jacob. My dream since I was a little girl was typical of most little girls. I wanted to get married, and have children and be a stay at home Mom. Although, not a very popular choice for a profession now a day, I find it very rewarding. As a matter of fact, every day is an adventure! I've been told personally that the stay at home Mom profession isn't 'work', but spend a day with me and you'll see just how much 'work' it is!!! It's blessed work!

Friday, January 13, 2012

My new Nuwave kitchen appliance

I got some Christmas money again this year, and as always, I agonized over what to buy with it. I toyed with ideas such as: a Wii, a new food processor, a day out shopping complete with Archivers and coffee, or a Nuwave oven. After a few weeks of researching, I decided on the Nuwave. I had to order it from the website, because they were having such a great holiday deal. I got free shipping and a bunch of freebies. I couldn't wait for UPS to deliver it. It was the longest 5 days of my life!!!! I finally saw the UPS truck drive up, I ran excitedly to the door.

I unpacked it, and called my Mom to come watch the baby so I could run to the store for some steak...John's favorite! I got it home and started dinner. The steaks turned out PERFECT! Medium well-with a tiny bit of pink on the inside.



 I thought then and there-this appliance is a keeper!

Then the next night, I thought I'd try a beef provolone roast. This is one of our favorite things from a local Brazillian restaurant. I stuffed the small chunks of provolone inside little slits of the roast. I was SO excited to try this!!!! Things came up, and I didn't get to cook it until the next day. I took it out and put it on the rack, and checked the 'cheat sheet' for cooking time. I set it and walked away. When I came to check on it, it wasn't coming along as much as I had hoped or expected. I put it on for a little longer, then a little longer. John came home, and it still wasn't done. I was getting frustrated. I, then realized that I had made a mistake. Most of the recipes say to cook a certain time per side, or per pound. I didn't follow the right one. So an hour and a half later (I thought it was supposed to take 25 minutes), we were finally eating it. It had great flavor, but it was a real chore to eat (it was very tough!) I was SO disappointed!!!! Hubby said it was fine and didn't complain (he never does).

Then the thing I wanted to cook the most of all--a turkey breast! I, again, was SO excited! I bought a 3lb turkey breast. One of the 'claims to fame' of the Nuwave is that you can cook from frozen in record time and everything turns out moist and delicious! The 'cheat sheet' said that I was to cook it for 15 minutes per pound. I put it in for 23 minutes first (because you are supposed to flip it half way through the cook time). I flipped it and set it for another 23 minutes. When it went off, I stuck my meat thermometer in it and it didn't even register. Hubby walked in the door, and I reluctantly, set it for an additional 20 minutes. The stuffing, tators, corn and gravy were already ready, we were just waiting for the main dish. When the timer went off again, I stuck the thermometer in and it wouldn't even go in. Instant frustration! I called Casey's and ordered a pizza. Set the timer again and left to get the pizza. Two nights in a row, and Hubby wasn't eating until 7:30 again! I got home with the pizza and John and Jake started to eating. After I set the timer again (for a total of 2 1/2 hours) the meat thermometer still wouldn't read 180 degrees I threw it away. Later that night, after I calmed down, I emailed the customer support and asked what I did wrong. Two days later, I got back a standard reply telling me ALL the same stuff I already knew. I put the appliance away for a few days.

Tonight, I'm dusting it off again. I have some chicken tenderloins marinating in some brown sugar marinade and I'm planning to use it to cook them tonight. I have a 30 day money back guarantee, so I'm going to keep using it and pray that the turkey breast incident doesn't happen again. I'll let you know how it goes!

It turned out great!!!! I cooked one early to be sure that it would work, and to be sure that John's supper wouldn't be delayed again. It was AMAZING!!! The best chicken ever. It was a little spicy, but John LOVED it. Yeah! I redeemed myself...and my Nuwave redeemed itself too! I'm ready to try stuff again!




No comments:

Post a Comment