ABOUT US

My photo
Kansas, United States
This started out as a blog about our domestic adoption. So all of the older posts are about that journey. It was an interesting one, and it led us to our son, Jacob. My dream since I was a little girl was typical of most little girls. I wanted to get married, and have children and be a stay at home Mom. Although, not a very popular choice for a profession now a day, I find it very rewarding. As a matter of fact, every day is an adventure! I've been told personally that the stay at home Mom profession isn't 'work', but spend a day with me and you'll see just how much 'work' it is!!! It's blessed work!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Recipe Makeover =)

Saturday nights are always very busy with preparing for Church the next day. We have recently started attending a new Church much closer to home, so the preparations have gotten a little easier. I have to make sure the baby is bathed, his clothes laid out, and diaper bag packed. I also like to plan out what we are eating for lunch and try to get as much completed the night before as possible. Well, last night, I decided to make my friend, Shannon's Swiss Steak recipe...it's superb! 
  • 1 lb. Ground Beef
  • 2 Tbsp. Ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Water
  • 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs or Ritz crackers crushed
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom Garlic
Combine first 5 ingredients. Make into 4 or 5 patties. Cover the patties in flour. In a skillet, melt butter. Add patties and cook on high until well browned.
Mix together cream of mushroom garlic soup and 1 can of water. Pour over patties. Cover and cook on low heat for 45-60 minutes turning often. Serve.
So I printed off the recipe, and brought it into the kitchen. Laid out all the ingredients, and started throwing them together. I haven't made it for awhile, but it didn't have many ingredients. After I got them made into patties, I realized that I poured the soup into the venison burger instead of saving it to pour over the patties. What a dunder head!!!!! Oh, well, I added more bread crumbs until the venison held together nicely and decided to just pour another can of regular cream of mushroom soup over the top of the patties. I started cooking it like it says in the recipe, but the patties were mushy and breaking apart. Before it was over it looked more like a sausage gravy then anything else. I tasted it and it tasted just like the swiss steak should. So I poured it into the crockpot and refrigerated it. Before we left for Church, I put in on low and left. When we returned home, I made some mashed potatoes and served the "Creamed Swiss Steak" over the potatoes. Hubby tasted it, and said, "MMM, this tastes like hash!" I smiled. I had already told him what I had done. He's used to my 'creations'. John said, "Creamed Swiss Steak" sounded like nursing home food, and that we should just call it, "Creamed Steak". He had two helpings and the baby even liked it. I won't post a picture on here because it really doesn't look very appetizing. It really was very good! I'm sure my friend will be pleased when she find out how I've madeover her recipe! LOL 

This has been a rough week with cooking....I hope next week goes better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment